Saturday, February 12, 2011

Valentine Altered Trading Block

I recently participated in an Altered Trading Block(ATB) swap that was arranged by Aileen of Aileen’s Musings.

The first block I created featured the writing of E.E. Cummings on it.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

and here is the second...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The following ATB's are the beautiful creations I received from my wonderfully talented ATB partner, LORI NORTHON. The amount of detail in her creations are amazing!!! These beauties are proudly on display in my home and on this blog! =D
Lori has created some wonderful art pieces and posted them on her Flickr photostream account. If you would like to view more of her beautiful creations, please click here.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. The ATB's are wonderful. How are they made?
    Thanks, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely, just lovely.
    Coleen in Ukraine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your kind comments. =)
    Carol, I cannot answer for Lori's creations but will be glad to tell you how I made mine. The blocks were cut ATC size then sanded to remove any wood splinters.

    The top one was given a base coat of white paint before writing the quote and drawing the tree. I then stamped the heart and nailed the nails around the heart and finished it off with ribbon tied around the nails for "the heart within the heart." The "With Love" was then stamped on both sides.

    The second block was given a darker red base coat and was then marked here and there with a crayon before applying the white coat. I wanted it to have a bit of a weathered vintage look to it. After arranging the ribbon, the "Love make your heart soar" was added. I had cut out the hearts with some material from my stash and they were then glued onto the ATB. I cut some fibers and looped them around and hammered a furniture tack into the block and then threaded a bead through the fiber on each side. It was then finished off by gluing the 2 feathers in behind the white bow to represent the heart having "wings" to soar.

    Once you have your blocks sanded, your little canvas is ready for anything you decide to add to it. Try making one yourself and see where your imagination takes you... =)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks in advance for your comments! I greatly appreciate your thoughts!